Council's Wakehurst Parkway flood improvement project: january 2024 Update
Council stated on December 22 2023 it is making headway in the Wakehurst Parkway Flood Improvement Project, an initiative it states will reduce frequent flooding along the state-owned arterial road, with $31 million in project funding now confirmed.
Mayor Sue Heins said that Council has been working with Transport for NSW to secure funding and coordinate flood improvements in parallel with otherer major state-led upgrades.
"Northern Beaches Council and Transport for NSW are working together to enhance Wakehurst Parkway corridor with improved safety and connectivity for commuters," said Mayor Heins.
"Despite significant delays while we aligned funding and project goals, I'm pleased to share that Council can now move forward to the next stages of the project.”
Council’s project aims to reduce the frequency of flooding at four locations - Oxford Falls Road West, The Bends, Sydney Academy of Sport and Wakehurst Parkway at Oxford Falls.
Transport for NSW’s project focuses on a $75 million in funding for intersection upgrades and safety and capacity improvements (4 lanes where there is now 2) along Wakehurst Parkway between Frenchs Forest Road and Pittwater Road in North Narrabeen.
“It is great to see the NSW Government recognising the funding that is required to upgrade these assets, and Council is happy to play its part in bringing these works forward," says Mayor Heins.
"Given that the Northern Beaches Council and Transport for NSW programs are intrinsically linked, it is vital that construction is integrated and delivered efficiently and cost-effectively, with minimal impact on the community.
“We look forward to the ongoing support of Transport for NSW in addressing all the design and planning requirements that are still in front of us,” she added.
Council states it has progressed designs and environmental approval for both sites at Oxford Falls, which will achieve the required protection against flooding. Council has also revised options for The Bends to reduce harm to the environment and increase potential for flood prevention, the announcement states.
Council states it will progress the detailed design, approvals and procurement for the Oxford Falls Road West flood improvement works, including community consultation in early 2024. Council states it will also progress the alternative design at The Bends including concept designs, identification of likely environmental approvals and community consultation this year (2024).
This will be the a follow-on community consultation undertaken on Council's design and studies. The first commencing in June 2021.
Likewise, detailed design, approvals and procurement for the Sydney Academy of Sport flood improvement works are expected to begin later in 2024, Council's announcement states.
Progress will depend on relevant approvals from government agencies, statutory approvals, and acceptable funding arrangements with Transport for NSW and the NSW Office of Local Government.
The Wakehurst Parkway Flood Improvement Project is funded entirely by the NSW Government and Transport for NSW.
Council will continue to provide community updates on this project at the Council's project Your Say page
Transport for NSW is planning road improvements along Wakehurst Parkway between Frenchs Forest Road, Frenchs Forest and Pittwater Road, North Narrabeen. These include intersection upgrades and focus on improving safety and capacity for this key road link in Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
See: Transport For NSW Wakehurst Parkway $75+M For 4 Lanes To Oxford Falls Road West Consult 2023 + Council To Spend $31+M On Oxford Falls Culverts Etc.: TfNSW Feedback Closes December 6 (was updated to December 20 2023 - Issue 605, November 2023
Transport for NSW thanks the community and stakeholders who provided feedback during the project consultation period from 6 November to 20 December 2023.
Transport is currently considering all comments received and will respond to all feedback in a submissions report. TforNSW states the Department will keep the community informed as this project progresses.
To stay up to date, please register for project updates by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Transport for NSW Review of Environmental Factors (REF) and project webpage is at: www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/wakehurst-parkway-improvements
Previously (examples - more on website):
- Wakehurst Parkway Upgrade: Please Speak Up For Local Wildlife In Your Feedback - Submissions Close December 6 (updated to December 20) - Issue 608, December 2023 - Community Contributors article
- Ringtail Posse 10: November 2023 - Stop Wildlife Roadkill Group: You Can Help By Using The Wildlife Incident Mapping Website - December 2023 Profile
- Transport For NSW Wakehurst Parkway $75+M For 4 Lanes To Oxford Falls Road West Consult 2023 + Council To Spend $31+M On Oxford Falls Culverts Etc.: TfNSW Feedback Closes December 6 (was updated to December 20 2023 - Issue 605, November 2023
- The Wakehurst Parkway: 75th Anniversary Of Gazettal As A Main Road On May 29th 2021 - A Long And Winding Road - September 2023 History page
- Beaches Link Tunnel Officially Cancelled - September 2023
- Conny Harris Calls For Exclusion Fencing + Traffic Calming Devices In Wildlife Hotspot On Oxford Falls/Morgan Roads Prior To New Oxford Creek Bridge Being Built - Issue 585, May 2023
- Full NSW Government Funding For Wakehurst Parkway Confirmed: Improvements In Elanora Road, Elanora Heights + Mirool Street Narrabeen Now Included - New MP For Wakehurst Also Brings Up Cancelled Bus Services + Proposed Lizard Rock Development In Representative Of Community Statements - May 2023
- Beaches Link Inquiry Recommends Not To Proceed - December 2022
- Wakehurst Parkway Improvements: More Details On $75 Million Spend Announced By NSW State Government - November 2022
- Wakehurst Parkway Funding For Warringah Intersection, Installing Pedestrian Bridge Scrapped From Federal Budget; Continued Closures Isolate Pittwater Community From Nearest Hospital - November 2022
- Fix The Flooding and Protect Koalas: Greens Call For Wakehurst Parkway Upgrade - May 2022
- Proposals For Reducing Flooding On Wakehurst Parkway Now Open For Feedback (Council's consultation) - June 2021
- More Than $18 Million Secured For Wakehurst Parkway Flood Mitigation - November 2020
- Roads To Pittwater: The Wakehurst Parkway Along Old Oxford Falls Track - 2018 History page
- Funds For Wakehurst Parkway Flood Mitigation - August 2017
- THE WAKEHURST PARKWAY; THE FORGOTTEN ROAD by Mark Horton, June 2015