November 22 - 28, 2020: Issue 475
More than $18 million secured for Wakehurst Parkway flood mitigation
November 17, 2020
The NSW Government has allocated a further $13.1 million in the State Budget to support the introduction of flood mitigation along Wakehurst Parkway.
The funding will be added to $5 million secured for the project in 2017, bringing the total NSW Government allocation to $18.1 million, and enabling a strategic works schedule to be implemented.
Northern Beaches Council is responsible for managing the Narrabeen Lagoon catchment surrounding Wakehurst Parkway and has partnered with the NSW Government to help address the road’s historic flood challenges and significantly reduce the frequency of flood events.
A comprehensive flood and ecological study was commissioned by Northern Beaches Council and the final outcomes and recommendations have recently been presented to the NSW Government for funding consideration.
Member for Pittwater Rob Stokes said the funding announcement was an important step in addressing the challenges associated with Wakehurst Parkway and is another example of the NSW Government working collaboratively with Northern Beaches Council to progress major projects.
“This is fantastic news for our community and will enable work to proceed on this essential project,” Rob Stokes said.
“Northern Beaches Council has done an outstanding job developing a comprehensive strategy for this unique road corridor which previously divided the former Pittwater and Warringah Council areas.”
Member for Wakehurst Brad Hazzard said the Wakehurst Parkway corridor contains unique bushland and ecological communities which required detailed consideration as part of the project design.
“The Parkway contains magnificent natural bushland and nobody wants this to be impacted more than is necessary,” Brad Hazzard said.
“Securing this funding means we’ll now be able to progress essential flood improvements, whilst also limiting environmental impacts along the corridor.
Member for Davidson Jonathan O’Dea said the funding will support multifaceted flood mitigation at the three key locations susceptible to flooding along the corridor – with works including new under road culverts and drainage, creek realignment, sediment removal and new levees.
“Road closures are a huge inconvenience for motorists so it’s great the NSW Government is addressing the underlying issues along the corridor,” Jonathan O’Dea said.
“There’s been plenty of commentary about the Parkway – but lots of work has been occurring behind the scenes to develop a detailed plan and we now have the necessary funds to make it happen.”
Northern Beaches Mayor Michael Regan has welcomed funding measures in the State Budget dedicated to addressing local issues for the State’s fourth largest council.
“I would like to thank the State Government for its ongoing partnership in solving some of the issues facing the Wakehurst Parkway,” Cr Regan said.
“This extra funding will help improve access to the Northern Beaches Hospital, and will make a difference to the issues motorists face regularly on the Wakehurst Parkway following rain.
“Now we have more certainty around funding and what’s possible to deliver, we look forward to bringing details to the community.
“This is another great example of how state and local government partnerships can make a big difference to our community.”
Cr Regan said the Budget showed the Government had shown confidence in the work of local governments, supporting council to drive locally-led economic recovery following a devastating year of drought, bushfires and a global pandemic.