November 1 - 30, 2025: Issue 648

 

Jacqui Scruby - Council - Long Reef Boardriders - Maria Psillakis Call for Expanded Drone Surveillance to Improve Safety at Beaches

Drone and pilot. Photo: supplied by Surfing NSW 

Independent Pittwater MP Jacqui Scruby is calling for an expansion of the Surf Lifesaving NSW and Surfing NSW Shark Mitigation Drone Programs, particularly for metro beaches, in the wake of another tragic death and serious injury from a shark attack.

Ms Scruby called for more funding in the 2026 NSW Budget.

“One of my key asks for the NSW Budget will be for expansion of these proven programs to metropolitan beaches. For a few million dollars we can have better data, surveillance and safety.”

“Metro beaches are missing out on drone surveillance for sharks and, after the tragic loss of Mercury Psillakis, we know we need this technology to keep the water as safe as possible for swimmers and surfers.”

See: Narrabeen to Manly Beaches Closed After Fatal Shark Incident

“Sharks are an inherent risk of entering the ocean - but it’s 2025 and too many beaches are missing out on the technology we know works. Metro beaches need the technology to spot sharks and relay real-time data for immediate management, if required.”

Ms Scruby was speaking in the aftermath of another death from a shark attack.

On November 27 two swimmers were attacked by a shark at Kylies Beach in the Crowdy Bay National Park, south of Port Macquarie.

The pair on the remote NSW beach have been confirmed as Swiss nationals Livia Mühlheim and Lukas Schindler.

Livia passed away as a result of her injuries and Lukas was seriously injured when he tried to fight off a 3m bull shark attacking her.

Despite his injuries, Mr Schindler dragged his partner more than 50 metres to shore, where bystanders rushed to help.

Emergency services were called around 6.30am but Ms Mühlheim succumbed to her injuries before paramedics arrived. Mr Schindler was stabilised by emergency services before being airlifted to John Hunter Hospital where he remains in critical condition.

Police stated a passer-by who made a tourniquet to stem Mr Schindler’s bleeding had likely saved his life, with NSW Ambulance superintendent Josh Smyth calling her actions “heroic”.

The Consulate General of Switzerland said in a statement that they were in contact with the local authorities and were "supporting the relatives within the framework of consular protection". 

Ms Mühlheim had been filming a pod of dolphins with a GoPro when the shark bit her. Authorities will be reviewing the footage. 

Shark Bite Kits being installed across beaches

The loss of the vivacious 25-year-old Swiss academic occurred as permanent "shark bite kits" were about to be installed at the beach.

Community Shark Bite Kits organiser and surfer Danny Schouten said two kits, containing a tourniquet, compression bandages, dressings, a thermal blanket, whistle, gloves and first aid instructions for a serious bite injury had been delivered the day prior for installation.

"This timing is very sad … there will be a kit coming there really soon," he said.

Around 150 shark bite kits supplied by Community SKB have been installed at beaches throughout Australia. Photo - GoFundMe: Lilia Villela.

Danny channelled his concern into action after his mate Kai McKenzie was attacked by a three-metre great white shark while surfing at North Shore Beach near Port Macquarie on 23 July 2024. A police officer used his dog's leash to stem a haemorrhage from Kai's leg, saving his life, before he could be air-lifted to hospital.

Witnessing this brought home to Danny what was needed.

His initiative is now spreading the life-saving equipment across more than 85 beaches around Australia, with around 150 kits now installed.

Dany states: ''CommunitySBK is a non-profit initiative aiming to equip every beach in Australia with vital, life-saving resources. Every second counts in the event of a major bleed. Having the right gear within arm’s reach, ready for anyone to use at any time, means we all have a better chance of living to surf another day.

''We live and breathe the ocean, and we’re not going to stop getting amongst it. The best thing we can do is be better prepared. Think about it, you see more AEDs popping up in public places, rescue tubes on beaches, angel rings for the fishos on headlands, even seat belts in your car… they’re all there for when something goes wrong. We can’t stop a shark attack, but we can definitely be ready for one.''

Maria Psillakis, Long Reef Boardriders, NBC Call For Expanded Drone Safety Surveillance at Popular Beaches

This was the fifth fatal shark attack in Australia this year, and just three months after our community lost Mercury Psillakis, 57, who sustained critical injuries from a 3.5-metre great white shark attack at Long Reef.

Since this his boardriding club fellow members, Long Reef Boardriders Association, along with his much-loved wife, Maria, have been calling for an expansion of the existing drone surveillance program at beaches in NSW, especially at the more frequently used surf breaks and swimming spots in Sydney. 

Maria and Long Reef Boardriders members visited the NSW Parliament in October to speak to Independent local MP's Jacqui Scruby and Michael Regan about the need for shark mitigation, more safety drones at local surf and swim spots, along with dune stabilisation, seawalls, access to community assets like Surf Clubs and funding for surfing.

''It's fantastic to have local members acting on behalf of surfers and showing they care. These guys are on our side.'' Longy Boardriders posted afterwards

Maria stated, ''Thank you Michael Regan, Sean, Jacqui Scruby and Lucas at Surfing NSW for supporting the issues that matter to our community and for showing such compassion toward my family. We truly appreciate your kindness, your support, and the time you've generously given us.''

Maria's proposal has been raised directly with NSW Premier Chris Minns, according to Wakehurst MP Michael Regan, who has said the premier was “making sure” the idea is investigated.

Maria, Long Reef Boardrider members, Wakehurst MP Regan and Pittwater MP Scruby with Surfing NSW's Luke. Photo: LRBA

At the Tuesday November extra council meeting Northern Beaches Council held this week to clear Items not addressed in the monthly meeting the week before, NBC Councillors passed the Motion first tabled at the October 21 meeting by Cr.s Bingham and Harvey calling for 'increased drone surveillance and listening stations across all major patrolled beaches along the metropolitan Sydney coastline, to enhance swimmer safety and support proactive shark management'.

The now passed Motion includes that the NBC 'Write to the NSW Government requesting increased investment in shark-related drone surveillance for Surf Life Saving NSW (SLSNSW), as well as funding for training of all volunteer life savers to operate drones, jet skis for surveillance and boat patrols by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries.

A copy of the correspondence has been sent to the Premier and local State Members of Parliament for their awareness and support.

Backgrounder: Development of the Use of UAV's/Drones as Surf Safety Equipment

UAV operations are primarily aerial surf safety patrols using drones to provide additional surveillance of the beach environment to enhance the safety of the public. This includes monitoring surf zones, identifying rips, swimmers in difficulty and looking for other hazards such as sharks.

In January 2018, the 'Little Ripper' drone was successfully used in a rescue. At the same time, the training of the ALS (Australian Lifeguard Service) staff to use “Unmanned aerial vehicle” (UAV's) was taking place at Bilgola Beach SLSC.

Surf Life Saving NSW and the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) announced an extension of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) trial to provide beach safety surveillance over 15 beaches from the start of the October 2018 school holidays. By mid 2020, a modern fleet of shark-spotting drones was announced as soon to be patrolling the NSW coastline with the NSW Government announcing a new $8 million strategy to protect beachgoers from sharks.

The news service encountered University of NSW researchers testing the capabilities of the UAV's mid-winter on Mona Vale headland that same year, although were told to keep it under our hats until official words came from the NSW government and only to take photos of their backs. 

UNSW testing/gathering data, mid-winter 2020

In November 2021 an Australian first to help save surfers' lives was announced at Manly as the state government stated its intention to commence rolling out Lifesaving technology, custom first aid kits and training specific to shark attacks to be deployed to more than 160 boardrider clubs, surf schools and high-performance coaches at beaches along the NSW coastline as part of NSW's shark incident response and through Surfing NSW's Surfers Rescue 24/7. An additional fleet of approximately 20 drones to be used by Surfing NSW to patrol their events, in addition to the fleet of shark-spotting drones already delivered by Surf Life Saving NSW, was pat of the package. 

On Wednesday May 31st 2023 SLS NSW announced the NSW Government is supporting Surf Life Saving to explore how this capability could be extended to cover more coastline for current applications, as well as see how drones could be used in a range of other situations to enhance public safety and emergency response situations away from the coast. In July 2023 it was announced Surf Life Saving NSW will trial the use of specialised long-range drones which could greatly enhance coastal safety and improve how they respond to emergency situations or natural disasters.

The UAV Program has grown and extended since then, along with the technology. Residents would have seen UAV pilots on local beaches over the summer of 2023-2024, with some tasked to known crowded spots for public holidays during Summer, such as Australia Day. 

With support from the NSW Government through the Department of Primary Industries, Surf Life Saving NSW currently provides the largest coastal uncrewed aerial vehicle (UAV) surveillance program in the Southern Hemisphere. 

At this Season's Official Raising of the Flags ceremony the government reiterated its commitment to ''Further initiatives to ensure rapid response to emergencies all year-round, alongside the ERBs, include UAV (drone) technology and AI camera technology trials''.

Ms Scruby noted that kids’ participation in nippers and surfing are at record highs and no one wanted confidence eroded.

“Confidence is key. We don’t want numbers to drop from our boardriders, nippers or teens doing their Surf Certificate Program. Unlike shark nets which give false confidence, drones give evidence-based confidence. The risk can never be eliminated but can be managed without fearmongering - just effectiveness.”

“The NSW Government needs to get their act together and deploy the programs we know work.”

Surf Life Saving NSW and Surfing NSW already operate proven, effective drone programs and training across the state. What we need now is expansion.

SLS NSW relies on professional pilots and volunteer lifesavers, currently operating at 50 locations across the state. 

On the Manly to Barrenjoey peninsula, SLS NSW drones currently operate only at Palm Beach, South Narrabeen and Dee Why - and only in school holidays. 

Statewide last year the program was at 50 beaches with drones covering 160,000 km of coastline, detecting 1,050 sharks. This triggered 850 management actions including sirens, evacuations, directed warnings, quite possibly saving lives.  

The Pittwater MP's office states 16 boardrider clubs across NSW are being equipped with expert drones and specialist training, including Cronulla Girls and Avoca Boardriders but none on the peninsula. 

“This latest incident is incredibly distressing, and my thoughts are with everyone who was there, the victim’s loved ones and friends, and the whole community,” Ms Scruby said.