November 19 - 25, 2017: Issue 338
Mona Vale Road East Upgrade: Proposed Lease Of Land To Roads And Maritime Services (RMS) - council invites your say
Mona Vale Road East Upgrade
Earlier this week council has invited feedback on the proposed lease of lands connected with the Mona Vale road upgrades. Queries have confirmed this is part of preparation works. Construction tenders will be advertised shortly and contractors will be selected early next year (2018).
The NSW Government is planning to upgrade Mona Vale Road from two lanes to four lanes between Terrey Hills and Mona Vale. The project will be staged to provide customers with a better travelling experience and to improve safety and traffic efficiency.
Mona Vale Road East currently experiences congestion as a result of the steep grade and limited safe vehicle overtaking opportunities which increases travel times. The proposed road upgrade for Mona Vale Road East would provide:
- Additional lanes for climbing and descending to improve travel time in both directions
- Widened shoulders and median separation to improve safety
- 80km/h speed limit between Mona Vale and Belrose once the road upgrades for both Mona Vale Road East and Mona Vale Road West are completed
- Facilities for cyclists and pedestrians
- Bus priority measures.
The key features of the Mona Vale Road East upgrade include*:
- Widening Mona Vale Road between Manor Road, Ingleside and Foley Street, Mona Vale from two lanes to four lanes with a central concrete safety barrier. The concrete safety barrier would be located east of Manor Road to west of Daydream Street
- Providing three metre wide shoulders along the length of Mona Vale Road between Manor Road and Foley Street to allow a safer area for breakdowns and on-road cyclists
- Replacing the existing roundabout on Mona Vale Road at the intersection of Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street with new traffic lights and signalised pedestrian crossings on all legs
- Providing new bus priority lanes on Mona Vale Road on the approaches to and departures from the intersection of Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street
- Relocating the eastbound bus stop on Mona Vale Road near the Ponderosa Parade and Samuel Street intersection further east to the departure side of the intersection
- Providing a three metre wide shared path along the northern side of Mona Vale Road between the eastern end of the Lane Cove Road cul-de-sac and Samuel Street for pedestrians and cyclists
- Providing a three metre wide shared path along the southern side of Mona Vale Road between Foley Street and Ponderosa Parade for pedestrians and cyclists
- Changing the speed limit from 70km/h to 80 km/h once the road upgrade work is complete
- Implementing a 60km/h truck and bus speed limit for the downhill descent from Ingleside Road to the base of the escarpment
- Providing a truck arrester bed, about 150 metres long, for eastbound vehicles next to Walana Crescent
- Building six fill retaining walls up to six metres in height and five cuttings up to 16 metres in height along the length of Mona Vale Road due to the local terrain
- Providing fauna connectivity measures
- Upgrading the existing road and cross drainage systems including the construction, reconstruction and extension of the road drainage network
- Establishing temporary site compounds and stockpile locations during construction
- Landscaping over the length of the proposal
- Installing traffic monitoring cameras at all signalised intersections to assist with traffic management.
* From RMS Webpage, 'Mona Vale Road East upgrade - Manor Road, Ingleside to Foley Street, Mona Vale'
Visit: Funding Secured To Commence Mona Vale Road Upgrade - June 2017
Council’s invitation to provide feedback
Proposed Lease of Land to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) - Mona Vale Road
In accordance with Section 47A of the Local Government Act 1993, Northern Beaches Council hereby gives public notice of its intention to consider a lease for a term of three (3) years for the parcels of land known as:
• Lot 2, 3 & 4 DP 350940 Walana Crescent, Mona Vale
• Lot 101 DP 749415, Lot 6 DP 239061 and Part of Lot 12 DP 241313 Mona Vale Road, Mona Vale
The purpose of the lease is for the construction of noise walls, drainage and associated infrastructure and for temporary construction and road purposes.
A separate process is being undertaken for RMS to acquire some of the leased land in the future. The parcels affected are marked on the attached plans.
• Site Plan SR4779
• Site Plan SR4790
• Site Plan SR4794
Have your say
• In writing to the CEO, Northern Beaches Council, Civic Centre, 725 Pittwater Rd, Dee Why, 2099 marked 'Proposed RMS leases Mona Vale'
For enquiries contact Council’s Property Officer on 1300 434 434.
Submissions close Monday 18 December 2017
Site Plan SR4779
Site Plan SR4790
Site Plan SR4794