April 14 - 27, 2019: Issue 401
Aquatics: Pittwater's Little Penguin Colony: The Saving Of The Fairies Of Lion Island Commenced 65 Years Ago This Year - these delightful creatures continue to be seen at estuarine and coastal beaches - something to look out for and celebrate this school holidays!
Reflections by George Repin: ORTHODOX EASTER
Park Bench Philosophers: Photographers Of Early Pittwater: David 'Rex' Hazlewood
Collectors Corner: Photographers Of Early Pittwater: Henry King - with so many images taken of Bay View House, then owned by David Scott, also an early colonial photographer, has Mr. King taken any of Mr. Scott? How does Mona Vale's 'Black Swamp' look from Bungan Hill in the 1880's, or the just built Barrenjoey?
Peppa Pig's BIG Holiday Compilation: 2 hours
My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother read by Melissa Gilbert
2019 Premier's Reading Challenge
August 30: Closing date for student entries.
September 13: Final date for validation of Student Reading Records by coordinators.
The Premier's Reading Challenge (PRC) is available for all NSW students in Kindergarten to Year 9, in government, independent, Catholic and home schools.
LEGO AT THE LIBRARY
Local children will have the chance to join a club specialising in one of the most enduring playthings of childhood. Mona Vale Library runs a Lego club on the first Sunday of each month from 2pm to 4pm.
The club is open to children aged between seven and twelve years of age, with younger children welcome with parental supervision. If you are interested in attending a Lego at the Library session contact the library on 9970 1622 or book in person at the library, 1 Park Street, Mona Vale.
Children's Storytime at Mona Vale Library: Mona Vale Library offers storytime for pre-school children every week during school terms. Children and their carers come and participate in a fun sing-a-long with our story teller as well as listen to several stories in each session, followed by some craft. Storytime is held in the Pelican Room of the library in front of the service desk. Storytime is free and no bookings are required. Storytime Sessions: Tuesdays 10.00am - 11.00am - Wednesdays 10.00am - 11.00am - Thursdays 10.00am - 11.00am
Mona Vale Mountain Cub
Find out more about all the fun you can have at Mona Vale Mountain Cub Scouts Profile –
our Profile pages aren’t just about those who can tell you about Pittwater before you were born, they’re also about great clubs and activities that you too can get involved in!
Autumn Holidays are here - Yay! Hope you enjoy your break - have some FUN!
2019 Hilarie Lindsay Young Writers Short Story Competition
- The entry fee is $3.00 (please note that entries that do not include the fee will be disqualified)
- Entries should be typed on A4 paper, double spaced in 12pt font.
- The student’s name should NOT appear on the entry.
- Entries should be made via this online entry form where possible
- Should an online submission not be available students may request an entry form from firstname.lastname@example.org. In that case, send entry by email to email@example.com, which must contain the entry as a MS Word attachment, a scanned copy of the entry form, and the Direct Deposit receipt number. Alternatively, posted entries will be accepted and should be mailed to the address on the entry form, and be accompanied by a cheque or postal order made out to The Fellowship of Australian Writers NSW.
- The details for direct Deposit are as follows:
- BSB: 082-936 Account No. 172389833 Account Name Fellowship of Australian Writers.
- Please use the competitor’s name and the competition as the payment details (ie J Doe Hilarie Lindsay), and attach a copy of the payment receipt to the entry form.
- Entries must be student’s own work, unpublished and not having won any competition at time of entry.