avalon beach historical society's june 2023 meeting: avalon golf links
Almost 40 locals enjoyed the latest presentation to members of the Avalon Beach Historical Society by Geoff Searl OAM concerning the history of the mighty AVALON GOLF LINKS.
63 photographs comprehensively illustrated the history from Arthur Jabez Small’s purchase of 35 acres from Mary Canty in July 1921 to the present day.
Although he paid £3,300 for the parcel, it was sold after his death in 1953 and a great deal of haggling, to Warringah Shire Council (WSC) for £38,000. The 18 home sites backing onto the course from Old Barrenjoey Road were sold separately.
Mention was made of the attempt by WSC in 1947 to push a road through the course from ‘Kamikaze Corner’ to the village.
The greenskeepers/managers residence soon after construction in 1930.
The original ticket office in early 1930s
A couple of fascinating early photos published in PIX magazine show the successful game of golf played in the moonlight on the course in January 1938. The Australian Pro. Golf Champion, Eric Cremin and the golf course greenkeeper Ted Hock both managed a par round of 32. Comment was made that daytime golfers would have trouble turning in a par round.
A photograph of the site of the remains of the coal bore from 1860 was shown. The coal bore put down by Father Therry was adjacent to the later 2nd green and thankfully unsuccessful.
The remains of the coal bore taken in early 1920s by the 2nd green, probably taken by A.J.Small and verified by his children.
The Society has in its archives a set of architectural drawings by architect E. Lindsay Thompson showing how cleverly the original ticket office was retained while the clubhouse was expanded into the current sandstone-based structure in 1938.
1937 drawing by architect E. Lindsay Thompson showing the outline of the ticket office incorporated into the new 1938 build
The larger clubhouse probably with the original creosote paint job “to blend in with the environment”.
A comprehensive history of the Avalon Ladies Golf Club from 1949, along with photographs of some memorabilia left with the Society by Life Member Betty Kopetko was also shown.
Cloth badge of the Avalon Ladies Golf Club circa 2009
This picture shows the tiny trophy Dunlop made for Geoff Searl after he made a hole-in-one in May 1959 on the fourth hole at the tender age of 13. Brilliant Geoff!